The Bonta California Progress Foundation invites the following students to submit an application in response to this scholarship announcement:
High School Seniors, or
Entering College Students, or
Current First-year College Students
The Foundation highly encourages applicants who are low-income and/or from disadvantaged backgrounds to apply.
In 2017, Assemblymember Rob Bonta launched the Foundation with the purpose of supporting communities, organizations, and individuals that lift up the social, economic, educational, civic, and environmental well-being of Californians and advance progressive values in California and around the world. To this end, the Foundation will provide a limited number of scholarships to students with a record of academic achievement, leadership, and service to their communities, who would benefit from additional support to realize a higher education.
Disbursement of awards will be contingent upon proof of registration or enrollment in an institute of higher education (including technical schools, community colleges, and four-year colleges). Awardees will also be expected to submit a brief report, summarizing their academic and professional work during the 2019-2020 academic year, by May 1, 2020.
Application and Award Overview:
• Application Deadline: 11:59 PM on March 29, 2019
• Award Announcement: April 12, 2019
• Awards: One $5,000, four $2,500, and five $1,000 scholarships (one-time)
• High school senior, or
• Entering first-year college student, or
• Current first-year college student
• California resident; residents of 18th Assembly District will be given preference
— Oakland, Alameda, and San Leandro —
• Completed cover sheet (Section 1 of online application)
• One-page resume (Section 2 of online application)
• Official transcript (Section 3 of online application)
• 500-word essay responding to the following theme:
“Overcoming adversity, giving back, and promoting opportunity, equity,
justice, and/or inclusion” (Section 4 of online application)
• Two letters of recommendation that speak to the applicant’s character, integrity, and/or uniqueness (these may be from teachers, counselors, supervisors, coaches, and/or mentors) (Letters of recommendation must be received by email, at Bonta.Foundation@gmail.com, no later than 11:59 PM on March 29, 2019)