By Corina Oliquino i FilAm Star Correspondent
MANILA — President Rodrigo Duterte stated he has “completely lost trust in the media” for picking up “trash” allegations in an interview with religious leader and Kingdom of Jesus Christ, The Name Above Every Name, Inc. founder Apollo Quiboloy last June 8, over Sonshine TV.
Duterte was referring tor news reports on the alleged links of his children with illegal drugs.
“Hindi na ako nagpapa-interview ha. Choosy ako, choosy… I have lost complete trust in the Philippine media,” Duterte said.
“After all the trash that you have read, all of you. Even your child is accused of being a drug lord. Sila rin lang may sabi na there will be a reckoning, sabi ng Magdalo,” he added, referring to allegations made in “Ang Totoong Narco List’ video made famous by “Bikoy” a.k.a Peter Advincula.
Advincula previously claimed he received P500,000 in exchange for videos accusing the Duterte family (including presidential daughter Veronica and son Paulo) of illegal drugs involvement.
“They are the ones who can write and they are the ones who can, you know, invent or do something na outside of journalistic practices,” he said.
“Outright extortion. There are a lot of them. As you have noticed in the matrix, the one involving Bikoy. Bikoy has retracted his statements. But the people know it’s not true,” he added.
In a report by The Philippine Star, Duterte referred to the matrix linking some media entities like Rappler’s Maria Ressa, Vera Files, Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ) and lawyers’ group National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers (NUPL) in the supposed ouster plot despite the Palace’s failure to substantiate the allegations.
The matrix, presented by Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo to the media as a printout on white cartolina, has since become a meme, according to CNN Philippines.
“Never mind about the criticism. With regard to the media, the matrix, all of them are paid hacks, believe me,” Duterte said, accusing Vera Files President Ellen Tordesillas of begging money from her sources due to cancer.
“Tagal na ‘yan sige pang hingi-hingi kasi may sakit daw siya cancer. Hanggang ngayon, buhay pa rin. So maybe tonight, we can pray together to pray para hindi na maghingi,” Duterte said.
“When we pray, you pray for help for her recovery. But my prayer would be different ha. And you know, what you are thinking, probably that you’d pay — you’d pray would be exactly the opposite of that and that is my fervent…prayer,” he added.
Meanwhile, the investigation on the source of the “Ang Totoong Narco List’ videos is ongoing.