DMV to offer REAL ID Driver License and ID Cards January 22 New card design for all driver license and ID cards


Sacramento – The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will offer federal compliant REAL ID driver licenses and identification (ID) cards beginning January 22. This optional card is being made available to Californians who want to continue to use their driver license or ID card to board a domestic flight or enter secure federal facilities when new federal requirements take effect October 1, 2020. Californians will have the choice to apply for a REAL ID driver license or ID card, or renew or apply for a federal non-compliant card.

There is no need to rush into a DMV field office. Until October 1, 2020, a valid California driver license or ID card can be used for federal purposes, including boarding a domestic flight and entering military bases or secure federal facilities. After that date, only a REAL ID card or other federally approved documents will be accepted, such as a U.S. passport, passport card or military ID.

Card Options:
Federal Non-Compliant Driver License – with “Federal Limits Apply” marking
“We want to make sure Californians are prepared to apply for a REAL ID driver license or ID card, if they choose,” said DMV Director Jean Shiomoto.

“Customers need to visit a DMV field office and bring original or certified documents with them when applying for a REAL ID.”

To apply for a REAL ID:
. Make an appointment (recommended) to visit a DMV field office on or after January 22, 2018.

. Provide proof of identity, such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.

. Present proof of your Social Security number, such as an SSN card, W-2 or paystub with full SSN.

. Show a California residency document, such as a rental or lease agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill or employment, medical or school document.

. An original or certified copy of a name change document, such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree, may be required.

A full list of document options is available on the DMV website. Customers can also use the REAL ID interactive checklist to gather the documents needed to apply for a California REAL ID driver license or ID card.

If you know you will not be boarding a domestic flight or visiting secure federal facilities or military bases, you do not need a REAL ID driver license or ID card.

You do not need a federal compliant REAL ID to do the following:
. Drive
. Apply for or receive federal benefits
. Enter a federal facility that does not require ID (post office)
. Visit a hospital or receive life-saving services

REAL ID and federal non-compliant cards are both valid forms of identification. All driver licenses, including REAL ID driver licenses, cost $35 and ID cards cost $30.

For more information about REAL ID, visit

Beginning January 22, all California driver licenses and ID cards will also have a new card design. The new card features include a gold miner image on the right side of the card and California poppies on the bottom left. Under ultraviolet light you can see an image of the cardholder’s photo, birth date, Golden Gate Bridge and Coit Tower.

List of documents to apply for a Real Id
You need one document from each section below.
1. Identity Document
• Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
• Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate
• U.S. Certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad
• Unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. visa and approved I-94 form
• Certified copy of Birth certificate from a U.S. Territory
• Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
• Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card
• Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD). Card (I-766) or valid/expired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C)

2. Proof of Social Security Number
• Social Security card
• W-2 form
• SSA-1099 form
• Non-SSA-1099 form
• Paystub (with full SSN)

3. Proof of California Address
• Rental or lease agreement (signed by owner/ tenant)
• Deed or title to residential real property
• Mortgage bill
• Home utility bills (including cellular phone)
• School documents, Medical documents, Employment documents, or Insurance documents
• IRS or California FTB tax return
• Change of Address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service
• Property tax bill or statement
• Faith-based documents, including name and address of organization
• Records from a financial institution
• Voter registration confirmation letter or postcard issued by the California Secretary of State or a local California county elections officer
• Proof of payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education in California
• An original copy of an approved Claim For Homeowners’ Property Tax Exemption (BOE-266) form filed with a local California County Assessor
• Court documents that list the applicant as a resident of California
• A letter on letterhead from a homeless shelter, shelter for abused women, nonprofit entity, faith-based organization, employer or government agency within the U.S. attesting that the applicant resides in California
• A document issued by a U.S. government agency
• California certificate of Vehicle or Vessel Title or registration
• A DMV form DL 933, completed and signed

** For more info, visit