Spring is Here; Follow these Simple Steps to Improve Energy Efficiency in the Home
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.— This week Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) marks the
beginning of spring by offering simple steps to keep energy efficiency in mind during the March Equinox.
It’s entirely possible to use both the furnace and air conditioner on any given spring day as
temperatures can range dramatically from day to night.
Here are ways to stay comfortable in the home this spring while managing energy use and
• Install and set a programmable thermostat. Save an estimated 10% annually on
heating and cooling costs by using a programmable thermostat.
• Reduce water heating costs. Lower the water heater temperature and install low-flow
• Switch to ENERGY STAR appliances, fans, and electronics. Using ENERGY STAR
certified products throughout the home could save nearly $750 over the lifetime of the
• Choose energy-saving lighting. Replacing 5 of the home’s most frequently used lights
with energy-efficient ENERGY STAR bulbs could save up to $75 a year in energy costs.
• Maintain your heating and cooling system. Check and replace air filters regularly.
A qualified technician can help with annual maintenance.
Customers can also reduce costs this spring by tracking and analyzing energy usage with then following steps:
• Create an Online Account – Customers can access energy cost and usage with
information down to the day, see a personalized rate comparison to determine if they are
on the best rate, and more. Sign up for an online account at www.pge.com.
• Take a Home Energy Checkup – In less than 5 minutes, customers can find how much
of their home energy use goes to cooling, heating hot water, appliances, lighting, and
The results enable customers to make customized changes to enhance the
home’s energy efficiency, along with estimates of how much money can be saved.
PG&E offers a variety of financial assistance programs for income-qualified customers including
California Alternative Rates for Energy (CARE), Family Electric Rate Assistance1
Energy Saving Assistance Program, and payment plans. For more tips on how to save this
spring and summer, visit www.pge.com/summer.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is a
combined natural gas and electric utility serving more than 16 million people across 70,000
square miles in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit pge.com and