Former senator Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr. signified he is ready to move on following the Supreme Court’s decision to junk his election fraud protest against Vice-president Leni Robredo for the third time.
His lawyer and spokesman lawyer Vic Rodriguez said on February 17, that the Marcos camp was “definitely” preparing for the 2022 elections.
In an interview over local media, Rodriguez said they are presently “in the thick of preparations on two aspects.”
One, is to continue helping the government in its efforts to stem the growth of the Covid-19 pandemic and two is to plan their moves for the presidential elections next year.
“There is a timeline we are following,” Rodriguez said. By January. 1, 2021, he said their mindset “is geared towards 2022.”
He did not say what post Marcos would seek in the next elections, although Marcos himself had stated earlier that the plan was to seek a national post.
This means he will either run for president, vice-president, or seek another term in the Senate.
Rodriguez’s statement comes in the wake of the Marcos camp’s latest defeat in the PET which ruled that Leni Robredo was the winner in the 2016 vice presidential race, thereby dismissing the electoral protest of the son and namesake of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos.
The 15 justices who voted unanimously said the decision was final.
Rodriguez initially contested the finality of the ruling, but made no mention of a review, which he earlier said was a step that they could still take.
Even Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said as much. Legal experts, however, dismissed the idea as being impractical since the next elections are less than two years away.
Marcos had also taken a beating in social media, with critics ridiculing him as a three-time loser for the vice presidency, which they said is “a world record.”