Saturday, July 22, 2017

By Daniel Llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent After disappearing from the public eye for nearly a week, President Duterte sought to dispel speculations that he had been stricken down by a seriously ailment by meeting with soldiers in Butuan City. But the rumors persisted as he showed up just briefly, looking glum and reserved and then made himself scarce again the next day. There was also some foreboding in the way Duterte assured the nation during that brief reappeara...

By Daniel Llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent Prospects for a possible resumption of the strained Philippines-US ties began to look up after President Rodrigo Duterte suddenly stopped from cursing Washington every chance he got to thanking the US profusely for its assistance in the fight against Islamist terrorists in Mindanao. Duterte indicated that the Philippine military requested US support behind his back but when it came, he welcomed American assistance in the gover...

By Daniel Llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent Opposition lawmakers have asked the Supreme Court to strike down President Rodrigo Duterte’s imposition of martial law in the whole of Mindanao for being unconstitutional due to its “utter lack of factual basis.” The seven members of the House of Representatives led by Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman filed the first legal challenge to Duterte’s Proclamation 216 declaring martial law and suspending the writ of habeas corpus in Mindanao...

By Corina Oliquino | FilAm Star Correspondent MANILA – In an attempt to support and encourage the soldiers fighting to restore peace in Marawi City and eliminate the terrorist Maute Group and by extension the international terror group ISIS, President Rodrigo Duterte drew flak anew for his rape joke. Speaking in front of the troops at the 2nd Mechanized Infantry (Magbalantay) Brigade (MIB) headquarters in Iligan City, Lanao del Norte (one hour away from Marawi City) las...

By Daniel llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent In an apparent bid to calm the nationalistic outrage triggered by a supposed war threat from China that President Duterte took in stride, newly-designated Foreign Affairs Sec. Alan Peter Cayetano and Philippine Ambassador to China Chito Sta. Romana suggested that President Rodrigo Duterte may have erred or spoke out of context when he recounted the warning uttered in a meeting with the Chinese leader. Cayetano said there were ...

By Daniel llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent After his impeachment complaint against President Rodrigo Duterte was junked in the House of Representatives, Magdalo party-list Rep. Gary Alejano on May 15 said his political aggrupation is considering filing another case against the President before the International Criminal Court (ICC). “Actually, the ICC can proceed but with what happened right now pinapag-isipan ko ho at i-discuss ko sa grupo na sasama na ho kaming magre...

By Daniel Llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent At least two top officials of the Duterte administration flatly denied speculations on a secret deal with alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles following her Court of Appeals acquittal from illegal detention charges. But another key administration official said they are considering turning Napoles into a state witness in the separate Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) scam that called for her continuou...

By Macon Araneta | FilAm Star Correspondent Malacañang revealed that US President Donald Trump confirmed in a phone conversation with President Rodrigo Duterte that he would visit the Philippines as part of his commitment to the Philippine-US alliance. “The ambit of the conversation between the two leaders includes the expression of commitment of US President Trump to the PH-US alliance and his interest in developing a warm, working relationship with President Duterte,”...

By Daniel Llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent Malacanang dismissed the complaint against President Duterte for “crimes against humanity” the moment it was formally filed at the International Criminal Court (ICC) on April 24 as mere black propaganda meant to embarrass the President as the Philippines hosts the Association of Southeast Asian (ASEAN) summit this week. The 77-page complaint was filed before the ICC at The Hague in the Netherlands by lawyer Jude Sabio who serv...

Erratum: Story header previously states "Marcos pays Php 360M to comply with protest, sees win over Robredo". We apologize for the error. Correction has been made. By Daniel Llanto | FilAm Star Correspondent Complying with a Supreme Court requirement, former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos paid PHP 36 million and said this compliance would hasten the formal proceedings on his election protest against Vice-president Leni Robredo which he expects to win hands down. Ma...